What is a good score in golf?
Golf is a type of game where you get the opportunity to develop yourself every single day. Even at the age of 60, you get the chance to learn something new.
In case you are thinking about starting golf, then the very probable question that you would ask is what should be the number of strokes that people will consider as a good score?
Well, if you are asking the same question, then we would like to mention to you that the average score in an 18 hole course that has a par score of 72 is 90.
to have some broader inspects about the scoring system, we highly recommend you to scan through the article until the last.
What is the scoring system in golf?
In general, you will see two different types of courses while playing golf. Either the course will be an 18 hole course, or it will be a 9 hole course. The scoring system is slightly different for both of the courses.
- If you are playing in an 18 hole course, then the average par hole score will be 72. That means for each hole, it is expected that a professional golfer will require 4 strokes. The number of strokes that you will take to complete the 18 holes will be your total score. The lower the score, the better player you are.
- If you are playing in a 9 hole course, then the average par hole score will be 27. That means to complete each hole, it is expected that a professional golfer will require three strokes. The number of strokes that you will require to complete the 9 holes will be your total score. Like the previous, the fewer strokes you can take, the better golfer you are going to be.
What is the average score
Now that we all know the scoring system, let's find out the average number of strokes that a player should take to complete the game.
- If you are playing in an 18 hole course, then as an average player, you should take 90 strokes to complete the whole game. That means one stroke more than the par hole score, which is not bad at all for an average player.
- If you are playing in a 9 hole course, then as an average player, you should take around 45 strokes to complete the whole game. That means two strokes more than the par hole score, which is also a good score for an average player.
What is a good score in golf?
Depending on the skill level of an individual player, the perimeter of the good score varied to a great extent. Follow the bullet points down below to get some insights about the perimeter of the good score.
- If you are a beginner and have never played before, then in an 18 hole golf course, anything near 115 should be a good score for you. Any score of more than 120 should not be something that you should proud of.
- As a women beginner, anything around 130 should consider as a good score. But, one great prospect about every beginner is that they will get enough time to develop themselves through.
- In a 9 hole course, for a beginner, a good score will be anything between 60 to 65.
For bogey golfer:
- The average score fits best for the bogey golfer. That means, in an 18 hole course, anything around 90 will be a good score.
- For women bogey golfer, anything around 100 should count as a good score.
- In a 9 hole golf course, anything around 45 should be a good score.
For the professional golfer/scratch golfer:
if you are playing at a professional level, then the statistics down below should be a good score for you.
- Anything below the par score should be a good score for any professional player.
- That means if you are playing in an 18 hole golf course, then the good score will be around 69-71.
- In a 9 hole golf course, a good score for a professional player will be around 25-27.
What is a bad score in golf?
Now that we know most of the things about a good score in golf, then again, there is another common question that you might hear regarding the bad score. Here are some of the answers...
- There is no bad score in golf. A bad score means the failure of beating your previous score. But, anything above 121+ means you are an above-average player, and you need to do some hard work to make yourself better.
If you are feeling like you are not good enough to make it possible, then the following section might provide you some guidelines regarding the ways of developing yourself.
How to improve the score
- Setting milestone: Unlike all other sports, golf is the only game where you need to compete against yourself all the time. The score of the opposition does not matter at all. If the previous best score of yours is 120, then set the milestone to complete the game within 110 strokes.
- Keeping motivation: This is another most important thing that you need to work on to develop the scoring. Tons of incidents are there that shows after trying for couple of times; amateur golfers tend to think like it is none of their business. Keeping the motivation until you see the progress is more than necessary.
- Consistency: If you look at the players playing in the majors or in the PGA tour, then you would find that most of them started their golfing career at an early age, and they consistently kept going. If you want to progress, then also you need to keep in mind that consistency is one of the most important factors that you need to concentrate on.
If you know the fact that no score is a good score, then all the perimeter that we have discussed throughout the whole article should make no sense to you. But it will make sense only when you will understand that beating the previous best score of yours is a good score all the time.