how much does a golf cart cost and weigh
Now a day golf carts are being used for multiple purposes both within and outside the golf course. For example, a golf cart can be used in industrial warehouses in farming and landscaping for security patrolling for plowing snow at airports and other types of personal and professional work.
So manufacturers usually produce golf carts with a lot of extra optional features and specifications in addition to basic accessories. While buying a golf cart, you need to select optional features depending on its intended use.
One of the basic features of a golf cart is the number of seats such as two-seater, four-seater, six-seater. Also, you can select a gas-engine or an electric-engine, horn, windshield, headlights, etc. Some luxury features which influence the price are DVD players, radio systems, cooler, back bed, utility trailer, hauling supplies, etc. Both used and new golf carts are available.
The price of a golf cart will vary according to the different features chosen. Golf carts either used or new ones could be found within a price range of $2,000 to $15,000.
How much does a golf cart weigh
The weigh of a golf cart depends on several factors. Two main factors that influence the weigh of a basic golf cart are the electric engine and gas engine. Electric golf carts have two weights, namely dry weight which is without the battery and curb weight which includes the battery.
Other factors that influence weight are the type of the cart, its size, dimensions, materials used by the manufacturer. Generally, electric golf carts are heavier than gas-powered carts, and the reason is batteries used in electric carts.
The average weight of a gas-powered golf cart could be 500-800lbs (227-363Kgs). While the average curb weight of an electric powered golf cart could be 900-1100 lbs (408-499Kgs).
The average golf push cart weight 7 kg - 11 kg .
How fast do golf carts go
The average speed of an electric golf cart is around 12-14 miles per hour (19.3-22.5 Kph). Usually, golf courses do not allow more than 15 miles per hour (24.1 Kph).
If the golf cart is to be used for hauling or for moving around the neighborhood its speed can be increased. To increase the speed of your golf cart, you need to increase its torque and power.
You can achieve that either by replacing the motor with a higher RPM motor or by providing the current motor with higher voltage. The power of a gas-powered golf cart can be increased by improving its air moving efficiency. Installing a high-flow air intake filter will also help increase the power of the gas motor.
How wide is a golf cart
A standard two-seat golf cart will be 4 feet / 1.2 meters wide 8 feet / 2.4 meters long and 6 feet / 1.8 meters high.
Generally, a golf cart is a little narrow at the front than at the back. The distance between front wheels is around 35 inches whilst the gap between back wheels is around 38 inches. The gear platform or seat will have a width of around 48 inches. The width mentioned above is the industry standard.
However, there is a little bit fluctuation in carts offered by famous manufacturers. Golf carts available in the market vary in width from 47 inches to 58 inches. The 8 feet or 96 inches length is the industry standard whilst the shortest cart can be found at around 94 inches.
Six-seated carts that can carry equipment could have a length of up to 160 inches. The average height of a golf cart from the ground to top of the roof is around 67 inches. Golf carts with roofs can have a maximum height of 82 inches. Golf carts without roofs can have a maximum distance of 50 inches from where the tire touches the ground to the steering wheel. A 5 feet X 10 feet trailer would easily fit into a golf cart.
How to drive a golf cart
Since golf carts are extensively used within golf courses, they became popular within golfer communities. Over time the use of golf carts extended to industries, farming, gardening, airports, security, and other sectors. Though the golf cart is a simple vehicle, some safety issues should be taken care of while operating it.
Golf carts fall in the Neighborhood Electric Vehicles category. According to the regulatory standard, the top speed of a golf cart is 15-35 MPH.
Requirements to drive a golf cart
- 1Anyone 14 years of age or older can drive a golf cart.
- 2To drive a golf cart no license needed. License needed when driving on a public road.
- 3Golf carts are allowed on private roads for short distances without driving license. Crossing main road intersections do not require a license.
- 4Some states may require a permit for a golf cart.
- 5Public roads with a 35 MPH posted speed does not allow golf carts. To access public roads a golf cart must be able to run at 25 MPH.
Procedure for driving a golf cart:
- 1Locate the key slot, insert the key then turn it to the right. Electric carts won't give a loud startup. As for the gasoline and electricity golf cart, there will be a familiar sound. If you hear a beep, then the golf is in reverse mode.
- 2Accelerate: Buckle up. Once everyone is comfortably seated slightly press down the acceleration pedal on right with your foot.
- 3Try to have an understanding of the cart by applying mild pressure.
- 4Do not over press the acceleration pedal at startup. Gradually increase the pressure and speed.
- 5Use brake: Leave the acceleration pedal and press down the widest brake pedal on the left. Do not over press the brake pedal unless you need so.
- 6Drive reverse: Locate the forward and reverse switch or handle. Use the acceleration pedal to go backward. Turn your body back and try to see behind while moving backward.
- 7Night driving: Before driving a golf cart at night make sure that the vehicle is equipped with accessories such as headlights, brake lights, turn signal indicators, and reflective devices.
- 8Horn: It is discouraged to use the horn on a golf course, but it is useful for off the course use, especially at intersections.
- 9As with automobiles slow down your cart when turning.
- 10Think about insuring your golf cart; it is helpful as with any other vehicle.