What is the four-ball golf game- format, rules, and strategy
Have you ever wondered if you can play golf with more than two players? Or in a team where two players will compete against another two players to win the title? If so, then we would like to mention to you that there is a role in golf that allows you to play with more than two players.
Yes! We are talking about the four balls.
If you are not familiar with this type of golf game, then stay tuned throughout the whole article to get some insights about the game.
What is the Four-ball game?
If you are a complete amateur, you may think that on a four-ball golf game, you may have to use four balls at a time. But, in reality, that not the case.
A four-ball golf game is team basis golfing match where two teams are formed to compete against each other. On each team, there will have two players. Down below is the specification that USGA has provided regarding the definition of four-ball-
Four-ball is a form of play where sides of two partners compete, with each player playing his or her own ball. A side’s score for a hole is the lower score of the two partners on that hole. Or, four-ball is a form of play (in either match play or stroke play) involving partners where:
- Two partners compete together as a side, with each player playing his or her own ball, and
- A side’s score for a hole is the lower score of the two partners on that hole.
These are the scoring system that you need to follow in case you are thinking about playing a four-ball game.
- Four players will create two different teams.
- On each team, there will have two members.
- Each of the players will play with his own ball.
- The lowest number of strokes that any player would take to complete the hole will count as the side’s score.
- At the end of the day, the team that would take the fewer number of strokes combined to complete the match will be the owner.
The strategy that you need to maintain
The strategy of the single play golf and the strategy of a four-ball game is not going to be the same. As four-ball is being played on the basis of the team effort; there are scopes for every individual to contribute.
In case you are thinking about it, I have options and I will be playing as I want, then you are not going to make it finally. The strategy is that one player needs to play it safe to minimize the scoring. On the other hand, the other player inthe team is going to give it a try to take the least number of strokes possible.
Rules and regulations of four-ball
Four-ball is not a non-conventional game, rather it is certified by the USGA where you can play as a team member to make your team win.
Here are some of the rules and regulations that you need to maintain in a four-ball game according to the USGA.
- On a four-ball game, you will get the chance to share your partner's club.
- Any penalty strokes are added only to the player’s score, not to the partner’s score. But, if any player breaches the rules of carrying more than 14 clubs, then both the player will be punished.
- A player may take any action concerning the partner’s ball that the partner is allowed to take before making a stroke, such as to mark the spot of the ball and lift, replace, drop and place the ball.
- A player and the player’s caddie may help the partner in any way that the partner’s caddie is allowed to help (such as to give and be asked for advice and take the other actions allowed under Rule 10), but must not give any help that the partner’s caddie is not allowed to give under the Rules.
- If any player breaches any code of conduct, then the score that the player would make will not be counted, but the other partner's score will be counted as the team's combined score.
Sources: Rule 23 - Four-Ball - USGA
Some of the most popular four-ball tournaments
Playing four-ball golf is completely legal, and throughout the whole world, there are many intriguing four-ball golf tournaments are going on that you may follow to enhance the insights of yours about the strategy of this game.
Some of the major tournaments of four-ball game are-
- Ryder Cup,
- Solheim Cup,
- Presidents Cup,
- Zurich Classic of New Orleans
Do you know some interesting facts about four-ball golf? If you don’t, then on this particular section, we are going to tell you some of the most interesting insights about the four-ball golf game that you would love to hear.
- The record of the most holes played in any four-ball golf happened on June 28, 2009, at the Gunsan Country Club in South Korea. On that particular day, 94 teams gathered to make it to a world record.
Four-ball golf history
Do you know the history of four-ball golf? Although the history of four ball-golf is not that intriguing rather it came like the conventional golf game. In a regular golf game, the major problem is that two players will be competing with one another whereas all the others need to be spectators. Most of the sporting events in the world have teams to compete against one another. But, in golf, there is no team but only individual effort. To make it a team effort in 1927 the first-ever four-ball game was played. Since then many tournaments of four-ball golf are happening that are giving enthusiasm to every spectator
And players playing or watching the game.
Four-ball golf is not a kind of recent invention rather it was there since a long ago. The inclusion of different tournaments makes it more interesting and intriguing to its spectator. The greatest benefit of four-ball golf is that it is being played on the basis of the team effort.