As long as a golf cart is not street legal, a golf cart will not have any title. Golf carts are for private purposes, meaning you don’t have permission to take a golf cart off the course. It is also possible to take a golf cart off the course by making some modifications. If you are thinking about taking the golf cart on the street, your cart needs to have a title or registration paper.
Golf carts fall in the category of utility vehicles that we use on the golf course. In recent days, taking out the golf cart on the road is becoming more popular than ever before. Unless your cart is street legal, you don’t have permission to take it on the road. When you are using a street-legal vehicle, the vehicle ought to have a title.
Why don’t golf carts have a title?
Without having the title, a golf cart is more like a toy. Here are the top five reasons why a golf cart does not require any title-
- Golf carts are not a public transport system that we tend to take on the street. As a result, it does not require any title.
- Most of the golf carts are for private purposes. That is why it does not require any title to be registered on.
- Golf carts don’t have the potential stability to withstand moderate to a medium road accident. As golf carts are vulnerable to drive on the street, it does not require any title.
- A street-legal vehicle needs to have a title. As golf carts are not street legal, they don’t require any title.
- Finally, a golf cart title is not that important as a street-legal vehicle. You just use the cart randomly to roam around the course.
What’re the benefits of golf carts not having any title?
Every golf cart owner faces some benefits because a golf cart does not require any title. Here are the top five benefits of golf carts not having any title-
- Anybody without facing any registration process can purchase a golf cart to use on any occasion.
- You don’t need to be an adult to enjoy riding a golf cart.
- You don’t have to face any troubles while purchasing a second-hand golf cart.
- There is nothing about the license, maintenance, and other stuff to drive a golf cart.
- By making some modifications, you can also earn a title for your golf cart at any time.
What’re the demerits of golf carts not having any title?
As there are benefits, there are some demerits as well. Here some of the issues that you might face as golf carts do not come with any title-
- As golf carts do not have any title, there is always a high chance of stealing. You will not be able to track down your vehicle.
- Anybody can claim to have ownership of your golf cart.
- You will always face a hard time proving that the vehicle is your own cart.
- You will not be able to take the cart on the street.
- You need to use the cart in a restricted area only.
How to get a title for your golf cart?
In general, a golf cart will not have any title. But it is not completely impossible to get the title. By making some modifications to your cart, you can apply for the registration. The main purpose here is to make your cart street legal. You won't find a single street-legal vehicle without titles.
Different regions and states require different materials to consider vehicle street legal. After getting the title or license, a golf cart will be considered as a low-speed vehicle that has the permission to run around 25mph speed, if you check your cart speed , you can added golf cart speedometer. Though most of the golf carts come with the potential power to run on the street with a 20-mph capacity, you can always enhance the speed by modifying the cart battery capacity and engine power. Here are some of the most common stuff that you need to add to your cart to make it street legal-
Do golf carts have titles in North Carolina?
Golf carts of North Carolina do not have titles. These are the things that a golf cart of NC needs to have to consider as a low-speed vehicle.
- The speed of the vehicle cannot exceed 35mph.
- Your cart needs to have headlights, taillights, mirrors, turn signals, insurance, driver's license, speedometer, VIN, and many more.
- Besides, you need to complete the registration process by maintaining G.S 20-50 and G.S 20-90.
For further information: North Carolina golf cart .pdf
Do golf carts have titles in Arizona?
If your golf cart is not street legal, there is no chance of having a title of your golf cart in Arizona. Here are the things you may need to keep in mind to get the titles for your golf cart in Arizona-
- The speed limit for a low-speed vehicle in Arizona is 25mph. That means your golf cart does not have the permission to exceed a speed of more than 25mph.
- Your cart needs to have a specific VIN to apply for the registration.
- The cart needs to have all the features to consider it a low-speed vehicle.
For further information : arizona driving laws for golf carts
Golf cart titles in Michigan
Golf carts of Michigan do not also come with a title. You need to maintain the low-speed vehicle rules to apply for the registration. Here are some of the important things to know-
- There is an age limit to ride a street-legal golf cart in Michigan. You need to be at least around 16 years to drive a low-speed vehicle.
- Your cart can’t exceed a speed of more than 25mph.
- You need to maintain all the low-speed vehicle rules of Michigan to apply for the title.
For further information: view .pdf
Golf cart titles in other states
All the other states, including Florida, Georgia, California, and the rest do not provide a title for your golf cart. You need to make your cart a low-speed vehicle to apply for the title.
- Most of the states will impose a 25mph to 30 mph speed limit for the LSV. You always need to maintain the speed limit to drive on the street.
- Some states may also impose strict rules on age. Golf carts are more vulnerable to kids under 16.
A golf cart will never have a title unless you apply for one. Depending on the state you are living in, you need to make your golf cart street legal to apply for the title. Don’t forget to check out the vehicle rules of your state to make your cart street legal.